Tuesday, December 14, 2004

 
I have been very busy with christmas shopping lately. Bought 3 musical boxes yesterday, of different designs but all in the same color. My favorite color - Pink. Someone commented (out of good intentions, I must say) that I should get at least 2 of them in blue and 1 in purple cos those are the favorite colors of the receipients of the gifts. Conversation went as follows, while we were selecting:

Someone: You should buy either blue or purple.
Oddball: But I like pink.
Someone: They like blue and purple. They are getting them as gifts.
Oddball: Yes, but I am paying for them (the musical boxes).
Someone: I just feel that if you are going to give them as gifts to others, you should get something they will fancy, in the right color at least.
Oddball: I feel that if I am going to give something as gifts to others, they should be good enough to be given away as gifts. Blue and purple aren't good enough, at least not for me. Pink is.

The design is great. It's something they will go nuts about. I am paying for them, don't I get to choose the colors I like at least? Gift-shopping is as much about the giver as it is about the receipient. If it's something from me, it is almost a certainty that the receipient will like the present. That's how much I expect from the gifts I give. I get something that I like and which I think the receipient will also appreciate. Every gift from Oddball has to meet these two criteria. (Now you know why gift-shopping is such a tedious process for me. I absolutely dread it.) Sometimes, it's difficult to get that elusive perfect gift. At times like these, a compromise between these two sometimes competing critieria (especially when the receipients' tastes are not closely aligned with mine) is necessary and they have to be balanced against each other. So in this case, great design in pink is the point of acceptable trade-off. I think they will like this particular item and the design, notwithstanding the color, and I like it in pink. So pink it is.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?