Friday, March 04, 2005

 
Feeling much better today. It was sheer torture yesterday. Nic was very busy yesterday and couldn't possibly leave his work and come home to tend to a sick gf. He had asked me to call my mom, dad or sister to come take care of me and bring me to the doc's. But I wasn't inclined to do that. How is it going to look if I run to my family when I am down with a tummyache (it's more than a tummyache. But I assure you people are gonna think it's just a tummyache) after my numerous proclamations that I am all grown up? Sensing my reluctance, Nic came up with a brillant idea. He asked me to call the part-time cleaning lady to bring me to the doc's and take care of me. We would pay her extra money to do that. Good idea, except that I was in no shape to talk to the cleaning lady, explain my predicament to her, make arrangements with her etc. My puking pattern was becoming more and more erratic. If I tried to talk for extended periods of time, the puke would try and force its way up my gut. Nic doesn't speak Mandarin, and the cleaning lady speaks very broken English at best. Not wanting anything to be miscommunicated, he delegated the task of handling the arrangements to his secretary. Within the hour, she was here. Thank god. Luckily we have a common language (Mandarin, that is) that we both are reasonably fluent in. Apparently, something was still lost in translation afterall. She thought she was asked to come cos I was pregnant and having a tough bout of morning sickness. The faulty link in commmunication is yet to be determined, but I highly suspect it's all in the cleaning lady's own mind. Her brain processes information such that anything that's to do with with nausea and a bad case of vomiting is associated with pregnancy and morning sickness. We went to the doctor and he said it was a mild case of food poisoning. Mild case? I even vommited my bile juice!

I will be going to the salon for a haircut in the afternoon in preparation for my new job on Monday. It's for good luck and symbolises a good start. I am thinking about cutting a fringe (or bangs, as Nic calls it, but that word just sounds so wrong). Hopefully it will make me look younger and sweeter, I told him when he called just a while ago. And he said, 'Sweeter, yes. But younger no. Don't make yourself look any younger than you already are or I will start looking like a pervert with a schoolgirl fetish beside you. Don't increase our apparent age gap anymore.' The schoolgirl fetish joke never fails to crack me up. Ok, duly noted. But I really would like a fringe, perv.

And the weird thing is, he really does sound quite serious about it. But as I said, I really would like a fringe. It will make me look fresher, more vibrant and younger, but not young to the extent that I look like a schoolgirl. No hairstylist is that good. If such miracle stylists do exist, all the cosmetics and beauty care giants would be out of business. And I possess naturally the sophistication, elegance and rarefied style that schoolgirls lack. So it's going to be difficult to see a schoolgirl in me. I told you that so many times. And you are not that old. Only as old as 38 is and that's not old. At least not for guys. So fringe or bangs it's going to be.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?